Issues in the Shwe Natural Gas Project
that the foreign companies would go back to their country and do their
business in their land, so the troops will go back to Rangoon --A villager in the
Yadana/Yetagun area of Mon State, experienced in Burma's military-style
development: militarisation and subsequent human rights abuses. [a]
While the Shwe Natural Gas Project poses a grave threat to the environment, the culture and the rights of the people of Western Burma in particular, large-scale infrastructure projects such as Shwe also effect the population of Burma as a whole. With expected profits in the billions of US dollars, this project would use foreign funds to further entrench the Burmese military regime, or State Peace and Development Council (SPDC).
Learn More About the SHWE Gas MovementTopics in this section:
* The SHWE Gas Movement:
* The Shwe Project: All about the ongoing exploration, drilling, and exploitation of "Shwe" gas off the coast of Arakan State in Western Burma.
* Campaign Goals: Why postponing the exploitation of this gas is a high priority for the people of Burma and the international community.
Learn more about:
* SHWE Stakeholders: Parties with direct or indirect interest in the processes and outcomes of this development project.
* The Issues: The four main issues driving the SHWE Gas Movement's campaign.
* The Latest News: Stay abreast of the most recent SHWE Gas Movement-related news
* Take Action: Learn what you can help stop the ongoing Shwe Project and help the people of Burma.